If you love to travel, you’ve probably got a list of locations around the globe you’re dying to visit. But if your “bucket list” doesn’t include a trip to the Finger Lakes, you’re missing out on a chance to experience the breathtaking beauty our region boasts. Consider our eight most compelling reasons #flx should be a “must-do” for you and you’ll be updating your #bucketlist before you can say “Riesling!”
- It’s affordable! A trip to the Finger Lakes is among the most affordable getaways on the market. Your budget will go far here, so instead of worry about making your money last, you can focus on making memories!
- We’re easy to get to! We’re within a five hour drive of 25% of the U.S. population! We’re thirty minutes from Elmira Corning Regional Airport and an hour and a fifteen minutes southeast of the Greater Rochester International Airport. Whether you arrive by train, plane, or automobile, your vacation time will go further here because you won’t spend all your time getting here!
- SO. MANY. WATERFALLS! You’ll be hard-pressed to find more waterfalls in one vacation than we have here in Schuyler County. With 19 alone on the Gorge Trail at Watkins Glen State Park, you will want to have your camera ready during your visit! Outside of the state park, you’ll want to hit the roadside falls including Shequaga Falls, Hector Falls, and Aunt Sarah’s Falls – all easy to find and accessible. A little hiking gets you to Excelsior Glen, Eagle Cliff Falls in Havana Glen Park, Twin Falls in Sugar Hill State Forest, plus a number of other falls throughout Finger Lakes National Forest.
- Heart-pumping excitement! Whether you’re a huge race fan or new to the sport, you won’t find a better place to take it in than Watkins Glen International. Pros from NASCAR and IMSA take to the circuit during the season, but don’t let them have all the fun! You can get out there too as part of the Drive the Glen program. For just $25 you can enjoy three paced laps around the famed road course in your personal vehicle – including a stop at the start/finish for a photo!
- Incredible scenery! From the mist and waterfalls of the Gorge Trail at Watkins Glen State Park to stunning vineyards overlooking Seneca Lake – there are views around every turn here in Watkins Glen and Schuyler County.
- Family-friendly fun! If you’re bringing the family, there is no shortage of activities for every age. Head out on a beautiful schooner for a sail on Seneca Lake. Book a fishing excursion with an expert outfitter. Take everyone for a picnic and swimming at Clute Park. Get up close and personal with rescued farm animals at one of the largest farm sanctuaries in the country. Everyone in your family will find a new favorite thing here.
- A haven for wine and food lovers! It’s no secret that the wines from Seneca Lake can stand alongside the best wines in the world. Our Rieslings are renowned, but it doesn’t stop with wine. Craft breweries and craft distilleries offer samples and sales in their tasting rooms as well, offering a chance to imbibe for every taste in your crowd.
- An excuse to do nothing at all! With so many of us feeling frazzled by daily life – we could all use the chance to slow down and put our feet up. Cozy up in a local bed and breakfast, sip some wine around a campfire, dangle your toes off the dock, or relax in one of our parks, we have the perfect place for you to forget about the world for a while.
#fingerlakes #watkinsglen #schuylercounty #tourism #wineries #breweries #craftbeer #nascar #racing #watkinsgleninternational #foodies #gourmet #foodstagram #senecalake #waterfalls #affordable #cheapflights